Though it is sometimes overshadowed by its utilitarian purposes, the kitchen is the heart of every home. There’s nothing that brings people together more than chatting and laughing around the dinner table or preparing a traditional, home-cooked meal.
Benefits of extending your kitchen area
The primary purpose of a kitchen remodel should be to extend the area.
By making your kitchen bigger, you’ll be able to fit more friends and family in the space. An extended kitchen will also increase your storage space, making it more practical.
7 ways to extend your kitchen
If you’re ready to take the plunge and create an innovative kitchen, consider these seven methods for extending your kitchen:
- Create an open concept area. Get rid of that wall (as long as it’s not structural) between your dining room and kitchen to create an open concept living and dining area. This can allow you to cook and socialise with guests while they sit at the table.
- Improve accessibility of storage. An open shelving system filled with all of your frequently used items makes them accessible. Lazy susans will help you avoid reaching to the back of cupboards.
- Combine materials. Don’t be afraid to mix different materials and styles. A brick extension can extend your space, even if you think it doesn’t match the modern steel in your existing kitchen.
- Add a roof lantern. Want to extend your kitchen but don’t actually have the space? A roof lantern placed above your kitchen island or dining table will bring more natural light into the space, making it feel bigger.
- Bring the outdoors inside. Like a roof lantern, replacing a wall with glass sliding doors will allow you to open up the space into the garden on warm summer days, or bring more natural light in when it’s not quite warm enough to have them open.
- Add a glass box. To add both light and space to your kitchen, a glass box is a great option. They’re a unique and desirable design feature, making them a great choice for those who want to increase the value of their home.
- Consider a side return extension. If you have a terraced house, you can make use of the outdoor space on the side of your house by adding a side return extension. This will allow you to turn your small space into an open plan kitchen.
Call Oaklands Leicester today
If you’re ready to extend your kitchen, call Oaklands Leicester to learn how we can help you with the design and extension process. At Oaklands Leicester, we’ve been designing luxury kitchens and bathrooms since 1911.
We offer free home consultations and surveys so you have nothing to lose. Visit our showroom or give us a call and one of our friendly and professional team members will be happy to answer any questions you may have.